End of Service Life (EOSL) is almost here for IBM ProtecTIER Deduplication Gateways, and it’s unfortunate timing. There’s immense pressure on IT to maintain uptime for a new style of work while simultaneously reducing spending. But this is irrelevant to manufacturers, and EOSL is approaching whether you like it or not. On November 30th, 2020 several ProtecTIER machines will officially be out of service. The models that lose coverage at the end of November include:
- IBM ProtecTIER TS7650G: 3958-DD4, 3958-DD5, and 3958-DD6
- IBM ProtecTIER TS7620: 3959-SM2 and 3959-EXP
This leaves a little over 6 weeks to secure an extended support arrangement before unprotected downtime or data loss become a real possibility. IBM post-warranty support is available from Riverstone Technology, and promises affordable support options aimed at extending the useful life of your ProtecTIER Deduplication Gateway. If you’re wondering what’s next for your EOSL device, or want to learn more about third party post-warranty support for ProtecTIER, we encourage you to keep reading!
What EOSL Means
Standing for “End of Service Life”, EOSL marks the date on which a device has reached the end of its extended warranty phase and is no longer viewed as serviceable by the OEM. Thus, November 30th signifies the last day of support, technical or otherwise, from IBM for the TS7620 or TS7650G ProtecTIER Deduplication Gateways. At this point, continuing or renewing your warranty with the manufacturer will no longer be a possibility. While IBM wants you to think your only option from here is to upgrade to their latest, most expensive model, third party maintenance firms can provide companies in this very predicament with a more valuable alternative.
The Truth Behind EOSL
Typically, EOSL indicates that the manufacturer is prioritizing a newer product roll-out and is trying to incentivize system refreshes. But if your current Deduplication Gateway for ProtecTIER is operational and your business is dependent on it, why disrupt that with a costly transition? With the assistance of a third party maintenance provider, you don’t have to!
Despite being released in 2012, the truth is that your TS7620 and TS7650G Deduplication Gateways have years of life left. Though you may have received a 1, 3, or 5 year warranty with the purchase of your ProtecTIER system, that’s not the true physical lifespan of the equipment. Most gear can function anywhere from 5 – 10 years past EOSL permitting the equipment is properly supported and maintained. In an industry that’s consistently rewarded for producing the “next best thing”, maybe it’s time to stop turning to IBM for extended maintenance and support?
Benefits of an IBM ProtecTIER Extended Support Contract
Coverage disruptions create needless anxiety and frustrating challenges as the EOSL date gets closer and closer. That ends now. With the help of a third party maintenance provider, not only can you prolong equipment’s useful life, you’ll save a great deal in the process. With the need to find budgetary flexibility now higher than ever, the benefits of third party support are self-evident:
- More for your Money; save on support by as much as 40% – 70% compared to the IBM post-warranty contract equivalent.
- Postpone Costly Upgrades; replacing essential infrastructure can cost millions of dollars every few years. Meanwhile, a post-EOSL support option could be strategic in helping defer expensive replacements until the necessary budget becomes available.
- Manage Hardware Lifecycles on your Own Time; offering flexible SLAs, a third party support contract will adapt to you rather than forcing you to adapt to your provider. This level of freedom can alleviate a great deal of the pressure normally incited by the crossroads that is EOSL.
- Longer Lifespan; IBM third party maintenance doesn’t come with an expiration date. Third party providers like Riverstone are “OEM-neutral”, meaning we don’t have an allegiance to any one manufacturer’s products. Our only objective is to keep our clients’ equipment functional for as long as possible to help reduce TCO and improve ROI.
Partner with Riverstone: Unparalleled ProtecTIER Third Party Support
CIOs today require affordable options to extend the life of equipment without sacrificing quality, and that’s exactly where Riverstone excels; our value proposition entails being more affordable than competitors without foregoing the expert-level support typically only available from OEMs. Over 1500 organizations have turned to us for first-rate continued coverage options. That’s because with us, the transition to third party support is both simple and seamless. Some of the advantages customers experience by making the switch to Riverstone for IBM ProtecTIER post-EOSL support include:
- Four Flexible Service Levels
- 4hr On-site Response
- Savings of up to 80% in comparison with that of IBM
- 10% more savings on average than our competitors
- Co-term Support; consolidate all devices onto one contract regardless of differing manufacturers or warranty periods
- Global Delivery & Support – we employ and contract over 2000 engineers throughout most major cities worldwide in an effort to meet our customers where they’re at quickly and efficiently
- Unmatched Service – our highly experienced service representatives are standing by to answer your questions right now!
At Riverstone Technology, we are happy to help clients keep their IBM ProtecTIER Deduplication Gateways in service and operating at peak performance for as long as needed. Ready to make the switch to third party maintenance? Please contact us by phone at 877-819-6757, chat live with a member of the team, or simply request a quote!