The end of the year is steadily approaching, and certain IBM customers need to be vigilant. IBM Flex Systems X220, X240, and X440 are reaching End of Service Life (EOSL) on December 31, 2020. Listed below are links to the discontinued devices:
- IBM Flex System X220 – Machine 2585, 7906
- IBM Flex System X240 – Machine 8737, 8738, 8956
- IBM Flex System X440 – Machine 7167, 7917
It’s important to understand that IBM discontinuing support for your equipment does not always indicate it needs to be replaced. If your system is still viable, third party support can help extend its useful life while drastically improving TCO as equipment moves into the legacy stage of its lifecycle. But what does EOSL mean for your Flex System? And what should your next steps be? This post will answer all that and more, as well as provide you with a potential contingency plan. To discover how to maintain your IBM Flex System long after it’s been abandoned by the manufacturer, continue reading.
What EOSL Means
EOSL marks the date upon which a manufacturer officially halts support, maintenance, or updates on an “outdated” device. Therefore come December 31st, IBM will no longer be servicing or providing OS/firmware updates for these three Flex System models. This leaves just 2 months to secure an extended support arrangement before unprotected downtime or data loss become a real possibility.
Typically, EOSL indicates that the manufacturer is now prioritizing a newer product roll-out and is attempting to incentivize system refreshes. But if your current IBM Flex System is operational and your business is dependent on it, why disrupt that with a costly transition? With the assistance of a third party maintenance provider, you might not have to!
The Truth Behind EOSL
Despite being released in 2012, the truth is that your IBM Flex System can actually remain productive for several years after EOSL. Though you received a 1, 3, or 5 year warranty with the purchase of your compute node, that’s not the true physical lifespan of the equipment. Most devices can function anywhere from 5 – 10 years past EOSL permitting the equipment is properly supported and maintained.
However, because OEMs earn the majority of profits by selling new technology – not continuing to maintain an asset after the sale – manufacturers use these strict deadlines as selling points to push their newer (& more lucrative) product lines. In an industry that prioritizes consistently bringing new technology to market, why continue to turn to IBM for continued coverage? Maybe you shouldn’t be.
Benefits of an IBM Flex System Post-EOSL Support Contract
Coverage disruptions create needless anxiety and frustrating challenges as the EOSL date inches closer and closer. That ends now. With the assistance of a third party provider, not only will you significantly prolong equipment’s useful life, you’ll save a great deal in the process. With the need to find budgetary flexibility now higher than ever, the benefits of third party support are self-evident:
- More for your Money; save on support by as much as 40% – 70% compared to the IBM contract equivalent.
- Postpone Costly Upgrades; replacing essential infrastructure can cost millions of dollars every few years. Meanwhile, a post-EOSL support option could be strategic in helping defer expensive replacements until the necessary budget becomes available.
- Manage Hardware Lifecycles on your Own Time; offering a range of flexible SLAs, third party support contracts adapt to you rather than forcing you to adapt to your provider. This level of freedom can alleviate a great deal of the pressure normally incited by the crossroads that is EOSL.
- Longer Lifespan; IBM third party maintenance isn’t accompanied by an expiration date. Third party providers like Riverstone are “OEM-neutral”, meaning we don’t have an allegiance to any one manufacturer’s products. Our only objective is to keep equipment functional for as long as possible to help reduce TCO and improve ROI.
The Riverstone Experience
More than 1500 companies have partnered with Riverstone Technology for unparalleled data center support. That’s because they know we value reliability, affordability, and flexibility above all else. Between our inexpensive hardware, highly experienced engineers, and guaranteed 4-hour response window, we ensure our customers are valued and their expectations are exceeded. Best of all, organizations that choose Riverstone save up to 80% on IBM support and hardware, which is 10% more on average than competitors can offer.
Is your organization in need of IBM Flex Systems post-EOSL support? For more questions or to arrange your IBM extended support please contact us by phone at 877-819-6757, send us a message, or chat live with a personable member of the team today!